Saturday, January 15, 2011

I am a happy dialysis patient!!!

Hello! My name is Monica Vontobel, I'm 32 years old and have been on dialysis for 8 years. I'm creating this blog because I do believe that you CAN have a perfectly normal life  even when on dialysis. My nurse always tells me something that is very true "You do dialysis to live, you shouldn't live to do dialysis".  So I encourage all you kidney patients to at least try and do all kinds of things.
I know that sometimes you might not feel well enough to even do the basics, but I really believe that it is worth the effort.
When the doctors first told me that I had to get dialysis, I remember thinking "I have no idea what that is, but I DON'T WANT IT!!!" I cried and cried...I was terrified! Why was this happening to me?! I never drank alcohol, smoked or did any drugs!! But I decided that this was not going to stop me from living my life. And thank God a patient went to talk to me and explained what it was, because it's a lot different when another patient explains it to you.  
A lot has happened since then, moved to the States, reconnected with my biological family (discovered I was not an only child but was the youngest of 8 sisters and I have a brother), met my husband (he's my rock!!!), adopted 3 dogs, discovered I'm amazing at raising children (I'm a Nanny).... Basically I kept the promise that I made to myself, I'm not letting kidney failure stopping me from doing the things that I like and love.
If there is any advise that I think will help you is LOVE YOURSELF!!! You are the most important person in your life and should always remember that.

5 comments:

  1. Adelante monigote, nos tienes a tu lado a todos los Frijoles. Eres una valiente y un gran ejemplo. Nunca te rindas.
    Te queremos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bravo hermana mía! nunca fuiste hija única, por lo menos no desde que nos conocíste a nosotros espero!

    ánimo que algún vendrá tu riñón nuevo y podrás venir a celebrarlo con una Navidad frijoleña! ;o)

    un besote!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Muchisimas gracias a las dos! Y mi hermana tiene toda la razon, deje de ser hija unica desde que las tengo en mi vida. Love you guys so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having a kidney problem is no longer that threat. Dialysis treatments can help you. However, make sure the medical staffs knows perfectly how to mix the dialysates. Incorrect dosage of these mixtures may lead you to serious complications. You may also want to visit this page (Granuflo Lawsuit) to know more about the risks associated with these dialysis products

    ReplyDelete